Wednesday 9 November 2016

Coursework Research:Breaking the fourth wall

What is it?
The fourth wall is a term used to describe the metaphorical 'wall' between actors and an audience. No such wall actually exists, but it refers to the fact that the actors pretend that the audience is not there; thus giving the audience the sensation that they are watching in on something, like a fly on a wall. The fourth wall in the terms of film is a camera lens. To break the fourth wall is to acknowledge the fact that the audience is there, so to talk to directly to them within a scene. This stops the illusion that the actors are unaware of the fact that they are there, and can thus make the audience feel like they are interacting with the film/tv show in a way that they wouldn't if the fourth wall had not been broken. It is a technique stereotypically used in comedies/dramas.

Examples:
Ferris Beuller's Day Off

Deadpool


The Big Short




Would I consider using it in my own coursework?
Although I think it is a really good technique to keep the audience involved and works really in certain genres, such as comedy, I am not sure yet if I would want to include it in my own work because it doesn't really fit with any of the ideas that I have at the moment as I want to go for more of serious vibe, which I feel would be difficult to create with this technique.`Furthermore, if i wanted to introduce more that one character it would be difficult to do this technique well, and still have time within the 2 minutes to bring in other potential characters aswell. However this being said, I would like to try and include it in my work at some point in the future and my ideas may develop into a different route to what I originally planned, in which case I would be open to trying to incorporate it.

No comments:

Post a Comment